Benefits Information for New Employees
Important: This tool does not enroll you in your benefits. After completing this walkthrough, you will be given instructions on how to complete your benefits enrollment.
Welcome to the University of Wisconsin!
Your benefits package is an important part of your total compensation.
As a new employee who is eligible for benefits, you have the opportunity to enroll in benefit plans within 30 days after the start date of your job. Coverage is typically effective on the first of the month after the applications are received; some plans have additional requirements.
Enrollment in benefit plans is accomplished in one of two ways:
- Online — in which most plans are elected via an online self-service process. To qualify, you should have received notification from your benefits coordinator that you are eligible for online enrollment.
- Paper-only — which requires that all plans be elected by the submission of paper forms.
Benefits Enrollment Walkthrough
Enrolling in your benefits programs requires some preparation—the following screens will help you prepare for your benefit enrollment. You may continue to refer back to this site for plan information, but please remember that you have a 30-day enrollment window.
Click the Next button at the bottom of the page to advance through the walkthrough screens. The first screen will ask you some questions about your job in order to determine your plan eligibility and to accurately estimate your premiums—please answer these questions to the best of your ability for the best walkthrough experience. Each successive screen will display information about one of the available benefit plans. Use the resources provided in order to make your decisions about which plans you wish to enroll in, and the various options available for each plan. At the end of the walkthrough, you will be given a summary report on your choices, as well as directions to complete your enrollment. Please use this report as a guide as you complete the enrollment process, and save a copy for your records.
DISCLAIMER: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in the benefits enrollment walkthrough is correct and current. However, the terms and conditions of UW benefit programs are established by state and federal laws and regulations, the relevant contracts and the policies of the Board of Regents. These sources of authority have control over the information contained in this benefits walkthrough to the extent there are any differences or conflicts. All premium and coverage levels provided in the walkthrough are estimates and not a guarantee of future cost or benefits.
Essential Forms for New Employees
If you have not already done so, please complete the following forms and return them to your Payroll & Benefits Coordinator. Be sure to ask for assistance (see Additional Resources) if you need help or have questions about these forms.
- Authorization for Direct Deposit of Payroll
- W-4 Form—Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (please complete all forms electronically)
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification
Campus resources are available to help guide you through the benefits enrollment process and answer any questions you might have about your benefits package.
If you are eligible for online enrollment, there are several resources available to help guide you through the process:
- eBenefits Introduction
- eBenefits Enrollment Tutorial
- New Hire Enrollment Quick Start Guide
- eBenefits FAQ
If You're Ready Now
If you feel ready to enroll in your benefits without the aid of the walkthrough, you may do one of two things:
- If you received an notification confirming your eligibility for online enrollment, you can proceed directly to My UW System and enter the Benefits Self Service module from there.
- If you have not received notification indicating that you may use the online enrollment method, plan enrollment forms are located on the Forms and Publications page.
If you feel ready to enroll in your benefits without the aid of the walkthrough, plan enrollment forms are located on the Forms and Publications page.